Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Saturday 3 October 2009

Sonia Gandhi's Austerity Drive in India

Thinking about the drive towards austerity initiated by the Congress Party's Chair Sonia Gandhi which I have explored for Huffington Post, it is interesting to read the level of scepticism generated by my piece.

It seems very hard for people to consider that Rahul Gandhi might actually be quite genuine in his mission to explore the lives of the common man at this stage in his career, and that Sonia Gandhi may be interested in the feelings of the majority of Indians, those living outside the gilded cages of luxury.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rani,

The cynicism of Americans, I'm afraid, says more about US politics than it does about India. It's pretty much inconceivable to me, and I suspect a lot of other Americans, that the US political elite gives a damn about the suffering of ordinary Americans in the current crisis. US politicians are concerned about their rich campaign contributors, the huge banks whose collapse might bring down the system, etc.

As yet, people in the US haven't decided that it is time to guillotine every big bank executive VP or higher, but I think they may be on the way to this position. In the meantime, they project their views of the US elite onto India.

At least, that's what I think. Who knows what is really going on?

Ray,

Rani Singh said...

Hi Ray
thanks for your interesting comment and prediction.

Personally,I feel that the Gandhis, Sonia and Rahul, just didn't have to make these efforts I have mentioned in my piece, so if they have, it is worth noting. Anything in India will be a drop in the ocean but there can be psychological ripple effects, what do you think?
rani