Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Thursday 16 April 2009

Off the Starting Block on the Indian Elections with Sky News

I hadn't even left my house this morning when I heard that six Border Security Force paramilitaries had been killed in Naxalite/Maoist attacks on the first day of election voting in India; a salutary reminder of the hinterland to this election cycle; the fourth I am reporting on.

The death toll looks likely to rise.

I was once given permission to embed with the BSF for an investigation into high-altitude warfare wireless communication. The BSF is deployed along India's porous borders and works alongside other military units of varying hues. I was given access to its control rooms, signals areas and mountainous outposts. I observed some interesting charts and maps along the way.

For Sky Active I recorded an Indian election primer for viewers, for Sky News I spoke about security and the different parties and possible outcomes, and I also recorded an interview for Sky News Radio - they supply the news for many commercial stations all over the UK now.

I like the fact that at this point in the game, none of us can predict anything except for the unlikelihood of a clear majority- the magic number of 272 seats needs to be reached by one party for that to happen- in a 543-seat scenario.

Great fun, and its only tea-time. And on no sleep, after monitoring the news from India through the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at ranisingh.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
John

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at ranisingh.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from your blog post right above if I give a link back to your website?

Thanks,
John