Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Tuesday 13 January 2009

Saudi Arabia's Intelligence Chief Visits Pakistan

Saudi Arabia, considered a country of influence in the politics of South Asia, particularly with relation to Pakistan, has sent its Intelligence Chief on a visit to Pakistan today 13th January. Last month, Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal visited Mumbai.

But with all the posturing between India and Pakistan, few on the outside know of the ritual communication which continues irrespectively, with military chiefs from both countries in regular telephone contact, and the political leaders talking to each other, sending good wishes for the incoming year.

In Gulf nations like Saudi Arabia, it is the royal families and many of their extended kindred who also wield political power. Often, cousins or other relations become highly elegant ambassadors for their countries. They are often very cool and when I go to meet them for interviews, I can always expect a stylish reception with impeccable manners in plush surroundings. Hey, they even answer my questions.

No comments: