Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Friday 10 February 2012

My review of a cultural biography of Barack Obama

Dinesh Sharma was up against tough competition when he decided to write a biography of President Barack Obama given the hundreds already published. But he has taken a completely different angle to everyone else; focussing hard on the first 18 years of Obama's life and really studying the seminal influences of what happened in Hawai'i and Indonesia. He interviewed Obama's sister and many others involved with Obama's early years and adolescence to present an easy to digest, well researched biography that's an easy read and respectfully references other Obama biographers in the text. He's also very lucid in interview. He spent a few years in his research, which seems to be the norm for bios of major political leaders -except where a publisher like mine wants to maintain their reputation of being first off the block with their subject!

No comments: