Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Thursday 18 December 2008

Can't Really Beat Cohen, Can Ya?

Alexander Burke sings her heart out on Hallelujah, she has a strong voice.
Of the various renditions, Jeff Buckley's is mesmerizing in its subtlety, its softness and its simplicity.
But come on, can anyone really beat the master and originator, Leonard Cohen?

Hallelujah's history is interesting. Cohen agonized over each word, each verse, as is his wont. He created many different versions, most of which, he says, he discarded.

When he sings 'you' on the track, he pronounces it 'ya.' When he sang it live at Glastonbury and even at Dublin this year, he noticeably performed the word as 'yoooo.'

I think he was just being respectful.

No comments: